Wednesday, September 19, 2007

The Future Is Now

Or at least it's just around the corner. It's coming, at any rate. I know that for a fact. I also know that it's going to overrun a bunch of people in the entertainment business.

I watched the three remaining episodes of Doctor Who online. I also watched "Blink" prior to US air. I watched them for free. This is the nightmare of many television executives. To them I say:

"How stupid are you?"

Watching "Blink" online only made me absolutely determined to watch it on Sci-Fi. And to buy the DVDs. And watch it again when it finally airs on BBC America. And watch the DVD, and then again with the commentary.

John Rogers at Kung Fu Monkey knows a lot more about this than I do. He's thinking way ahead of the curve, or maybe just further ahead than I am, and one of the points that he's always hammering is that the new media world is going to happen. The powers that be may fight it, they might be able to delay it, but they can't stop it.

So why don't they get out ahead of it? The web has guaranteed that I'm clearing the next three Friday nights so as not to miss the Doctor. Isn't that worth something?

Rogers may have put his finger on it when he said that in the future "nobody will get rich, but everybody will get paid." The present system bestows amazing piles of filthy lucre upon a select few. Do you think they're going to give that up? The sad part is that they are going to lose it, and they don't have to. They might have to give up a little, but by refusing to ride the wave, they will get drowned.

And they'll blame the web.

No comments: